Macintosh Journal Tools
However, having mulitple tools is not very productive and can make finding information difficult. So over the next few days I am going to pick one application and use that as my default Macintosh Journal tool.
Top 5 functionality that I am looking for:
- Search Functionality - not only within the application but also using Spotlight.
- Label Content - Easily identify importaint content in the listing
- Usibility - An application thats easy to use.
- Sorting - Ability to organize content
- Back up - Ability to do a complete backup and remove information as needed.
iSync Error Message
With the iPhone soon to be release, owners of any LG Phone, including my LG VX8300, will be seeing the following messages in iSync for a while.
An alternative solution is to use BluePhoneElite. For some reason the Address Book works fine when importing contacts. However the first name and last name get reversed when it goes to the phone, so on each import I have to change the order of the name.
I recently upgraded my cellphone and purchase a LG VX8300. I really like this phone over my Samsung A670 since it has Bluetooth capabilities and a better sound, including a speaker phone.
The screen is a little bigger, and I with that I needed create some new Disney World Haunted Mansion wallpaper. If your a Haunted Mansion fan, and have a LG VX8300 download these wallpapers that I created.
I am working on some ring tones. For some reason, Disney isn't providing any Haunted Mansions ringtones as they did when I purchased the Samsun A670 a couple of years ago. I think this is a big mistake since there are plenty of Haunted Mansions fans that would like to have Grim Grinning Ghosts as a ring tone. Once I am done with it, I'll put it up here so others can download it.
|Apple Tiger Bugs:||1,300,000|
|Microsoft Vista Bugs:||28,100,000|
Oh, Vista doesn't officially come till next week. Lets see where the numbers stand Tuesday morning (January 31, 2007), once users installed it and start blogging it.
iPhone for $499
Wow Apple announced the iPhone for $499! The bad news is that it runs on Cingular network.
Apple would have been better to make a couple of these for different providers. In the northeast, Verizon pretty much has the most coverage. After all, they will have to make a different phone for Europe and for Asia.
I have been working on the features section of this website and looking to take advantage of using Final Cut Express HD that I purchased last year.
I have my VCR connected to my Sony DCR-TRV720, as a pass-through and connected to my desktop computer using firewire. I got this working in Final Cut Express, so that I can record video, by using File > Easy Setup and selected DV-NTSC DV Converter. The only downside is that the audio doesn't play through the speakers.
Final Cut Express HD is a great piece of software, and one of the cool things that I didn't know that was included is Apple Compressor. This allows me to compress multiple Movies at the same time! Very Cool!
I currently have Media Cleaner 5 for all my compression, and its a great tool. But its a little out of date and I am unable to compress using the latest H.264 Codec. I am not sure if its worth getting the upgrade to Cleaner 6.5 since that costs $179. I think the key advanage would be the RealMedia and the popular Flash Movie Format that is not available in Apple's Compressor2.
I'll investigate other options, as there might be some plug-ins that might work with Quicktime or Compressor, such as Helix Producer.
I am in the process of Installing Oracle on my Powerbook G4 and G4 Desktop for development purposes. Here are the steps I am currently using.
First download Oracle Database 10g Release 1 (10.1.0.3) for Mac OS X Server
Then perform the following commands from the Terminal:
su - sudo nicl . -append /groups/admin users oracle sudo gcc_select 3.3 sudo nicl . -create /groups/dba sudo nicl . -append /groups/dba gid 601 sudo nicl . -append /groups/dba passwd "*" sudo nicl . -create /users/oracle sudo nicl . -append /users/oracle uid 601 sudo nicl . -append /users/oracle gid 600 sudo nicl . -append /users/oracle shell /bin/bash sudo nicl . -append /users/oracle home /Users/oracle sudo nicl . -append /groups/dba users oracle mkdir /Users/oracle chown oracle:dba /Users/oracle sudo nicl . -append /users/oracle gid 601 nireport . /users uid name | more mkdir /opt mkdir /opt/oracle mkdir /opt/oracle/product mkdir /opt/oracle/product/10.1 chown -R oracle:dba /opt/oracle cd /Users/cryan/Desktop mv ship_mac_db.cpio.gz /opt/oracle/product/10.1/ cd /opt/oracle/product/10.1 gzip -d ship_mac_db.cpio.gz cpio -idmv < ship_mac_db.cpio
That's where I am at for now...
iPhoto Image SizesHere's a little tip for insuring that your pictures look high quality. Note that if you have a consumer type camera you may not have enough pixels to have very large prints made that look good. Use the following general guidelines when sizing images to aspect ratios":
- For a 4 x 6" print, the image resolution should be 640 x 480 pixels minimum
- For a 5 x 7" print, the image resolution should be 1024 x 768 pixels minimum
- For an 8 x 10" print, the image resolution should be 1536 x 1024 pixels minimum
- For a 16 x 20" print, the image resolution should be 1600 x 1200 pixels minimum
- For a 20 x 30" print, the image resolution should be 1600 x 1200 pixels minimum
Safari and TextEditA really cool feature in Text Edit is the ability to save Graphics inside the documents. This works well with Safari.
So I can select a text on Boston.com, Yahoo.com and then paste it into a TextEdit document and then save it as a 'rtfd' which is a Rich Text With Graphics Format. This makes saving stories with photos a lot easier...
Workout SongsThe following is a list of workout songs that I found. This list was create in early 2001. I am sure that there's some additional songs that could make this list.
|Eye of the Tiger||Survivor|
|Come On Over||Christina Aguliera|
|Rocky Theme||Phil Conti|
|Baby Got Back||Sir Mix-a-lot|
|Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)||C+C Music Factory|
|Bye Bye Bye||N'Sync|
Airport CardApple has discontinued the Apple Card for the Apple Extreme card. However not all computers can use the new card.
You can search ebay for Apple Cards, but they cost $129+. Which is a lot of money to spend to make your desktop computer wireless.
I found a cheaper solution this weekend. I bought a DLINK USB Adapter (DWL-G122) for $45. I downloaded some third party driver and was able to connect with no problems. (Search for Macintosh USB Wireless for the Driver.)
This is a short term solution, over the next few months, I'll be building a home network that will replace the wireless connection.
Linksys modem Connection with Comcast[Download a PDF Version of this for easy reference.]
I was able to get a Linksys Modem connected to a Comcast using the following steps:
- I called Comcast (888) 633-4266 to register the Modem Mac address. (This can be found on the bottom of the modem.)
- The 'DS' Light was flashing non-stop, indicating that it was not getting a signal. I had to try a different cable wall jack. Turns out the one I was using was not set up correctly.
- Once I got connected I just went through www.comcast.net instead of using the CD installation. For some reason on my Mac, Comcast kept disabling the Ethernet port.
First I needed my computer Mac Address:
Finding the Mac Address on a Macintosh OS X:
You will need this for Comcast Cable.
- Open up System Preferences.
- Click Network
- Under the 'Show' Menu select 'Ethernet'
- Select the Ethernet Tab (Its the last tab.)
- The Ethernet ID is what you need.
- Shut down the computer, and unplug the power cables to both the router and the Broadband modem.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer and plug it into the Internet or WAN port of the router.
- Take another the Ethernet cable and connect it to the computer. Then, take the other end of that same cable and connect it to Port 2 on the back of the router.
- So you have at this point the Modem cable going into the 'Internet' port of the Router and a cable from your computer to the Router second ethernet port.
- Plug in the Broadband modem's power cable and wait for all of its lights to stop blinking.
- After the lights on the Broadband modem stop blinking, plug in the router's power cable.
- Start up the computer.
- I used Firefox instead of Safari, since I was experiencing some problems submitting Linksys Settings. (I was seeing the raw HTML code after submittals)
- When the browser window opens, go to the Address bar and type in the router's IP Address and click on the Go button (192.168.1.1 is the default IP address of Linksys Routers).
- A window will appear prompting for a "User Name" and a "Password". Leave the "User Name" field blank, and type in the router's password and click on the OK button to login (admin is the default password).
- The router's web-based "Setup" utility should then load.
- From the "Setup" page, click on the MAC Address Clone sub-tab.
- In the "MAC Clone" section, set the option to Enable.
- Click on the Clone Your PC's MAC button. Once this is done, the "User Defined Entry" will show MAC Address of the Ethernet Adapter of the computer you are using. Verify this address with the Mac Address" observed in earlier steps.
- To make the Wireless Work, click on the 'Wireless' tab, then click on the green button. It will instruct you to click on the Cisco Systems logo on the Router.
- Be sure to use a cool Wireless Network Name!
Create a Rule Line in InDesignTo create a rule line, similar to rule paper:
- Create a line the length that you want.
- Change the line stroke weight to .5 (Standard Line weight)
- Select Step and Repeat (Edit -> Step and Repeat)
- Put in the number of lines you need in Repeat Count
- Put in .2 inch or 1p2.4 Vertical Offset (Standard College Rule)
Macintosh ApplicationRight now on my Powerbook G4 I have 8 applications open, and these represent the most productive applications that I use at work.
In the order that they appear in the Dock:
- Apple Mail
- Virtual PC
- Aqua Data Studio
Apple iPodsYesterday, Apple announced some pretty good numbers for last quarter. Once again the iPods are stealing the show.
I can't wait until they have a living room version of the iPod, a device that will replace having Multi-CD Electronic devices.
Here's what currently on my July Playlist:
Africa, As We Walk to Fenway Park In Boston Town, Black Water, Broken Wings, California, Candle in the Wind, Desert Moon, Dirty Water, Don't Dream It's Over, Drift Away, Ebay (Parody of "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys), Gangsta's Paradise, Going up the Country, How Bad Do You Want It, I Lost On Jeopardy, Independance Day, Iris, Live Like You Were Dying, Maybe I'm Amazed, Merchandising Wright Brothers, Nothing Compares to you, Otherwise, Parents Just Don't Understand, Psycho Killer, Somebody's Watching Me, Teddy Ballgame, This Used To Be My Playground, Tubthumping (I Get Knock Down), Waiting For A Star To Fall, Walk On Water, Wind of Change, World Series Game 4, You're Still the One