|July 28, 2015|
Mendon Twin Drive
Recently we saw a couple of movies at the Mendon Twin Drive in Mendon, Massachusetts. The theater is located just outside of downtown Mendon. We went on a very busy night where both theaters were sold out.It cost $25 a car to see a double feature movie, this is much cheaper than the three if us going to a regular movie theater. If there's more than six people in the car, it's an extra $5 a person.
Since the theater is own by the Andelman brothers, who put on the Phantom Gourmet, I was really looking forward to trying the snack bar and my favorite movie snack - popcorn. The snack bar was loaded with lots of great choices, such as hot dogs and chicken fingers and most of it was made to order. As a result, the line was a little long for the snack bar, but it seem to move fairly quickly.
I was a little disappointed with the taste of the popcorn. I was thinking that it was going to be awesome, that I picked up two bags ($6 a bag). The popcorn was was anything but great. It had a strange burn taste and nothing at all what I expected. The popcorn machine was cranking out popcorn, so it was fresh - perhaps maybe the machine needed cleaning? I don't know just wasn't what I was expected.
I watched the movie sitting on the ground near the back of the car. We had the car radio on, but I could hear the sound coming from other people radios. It was pretty cool surround sound effect.We left near the end of the second movie because it was midnight and my daughter was sleeping. We also decided to leave because it was going to take a long time to leave once the movie got over.
We had a great first time visit and certainly will be back again to enjoy another movie. This was my first drive-in experience since the Capital Theaters Drive-in in San Jose, California - some ten years ago.You should certainly go and enjoy the Drive-in experience, here's some practical tips:
- Arrive early, especially on a Saturday night in the summer. Pack some sandwiches and have a picnic dinner at the theater.
- Park any place you want, we ended up parking up front and felt we had great view of the screen.
- The bathrooms are very small and the lines are long. Plan your bathroom breaks carefully ( Avoid going just before the movie or immediately afterwards)
- Use the express lane at the snack bar, you can save a lot of time.
- Yes, you should visit the snack bar it's part of the drive in fun.
- The only Gluten-free options at the snack bar that I saw were the Popcorn, ice cream (with sprinkles) and some of the candy.
- Whiffle Bat and Ball - Keeps everyone entertained before the show
- Radio - I saw some boom boxes, but Walkman might be good.
- Blankets to keep warm
- Bug spray
- Extra drinks and snacks.
- Chairs - lots of people were setting up beach chairs to watch the show.
- USB Charger - The cell phone signal is weak and will drain the cell phone battery.
- Flashlight - In case you need to walk to the snack bar when it's dark.
Add your Comments
Feel free to leave a comment about this post.