|June 20, 2018|
Longfellow Wayside Inn Grist Mills
Just off of Boston Post Road (Route 20), in Sudbury, Massachusetts, is historic Wayside Inn Grist Mill. This is a perfect place to have an afternoon picnic or for family photos.
This is the Longfellow's Wayside Inn Grist Mill, a reproduction of an 18th Century grist mill:
Interesting Facts about the Mill and Area
- Mill area was built in 1929 by John Blake Campbell (1890 - 1987).
- The Mill was funded by Henry Ford and Associates.
- The first ground corn was produced on Thanksgiving Day in 1929.
- During it's peak, the Mill produced 5-tons of flour per year.
- The flour was used by Pepperidge Farm from 1952 to 1967. The Logo for Pepperidge Farm is based on the Wayside Inn Grist Mill.
- The mill produced flour for King Arthur Flour Company from 1967 to 1969.
- In 1969, the Wayside Inn assumed full control of all the flour produced by the Mill.
- Water from Josephine Brook powers the Mill
- Added to the National Historical District in 1973
- Today, the mill is only used to demonstrate how the 18th Century mill worked.
- You can buy four produced by the Mill in the Wayside Inn gift shop.
Fall Picture Spot
During the Last week of September, and the first week of October, this is a perfect fall foliage picture spot. We have found that early Sunday mornings are the best time to visit to avoid the large crowds and to get the best sunlight.
The stream behind the Mill is a great place to get a mix of colors. There are plenty of places for families or kids to sit and have a picturesque background.
Signs by the Street Entrance
Longfellow's Wayside Inn Grist Mills Built in 1929. This historic reproduction is operated by the WAYSIDE INN, an educational, non-profit trust dedicated to the preservation and understanding of our past.
Hours: 9am to 5pm
Underneath is this sign:
Attention: Professional Photographers
The Wayside Inn Historic Site is a private, non-profit landmark property and all of its buildings and grounds are copyright protected. We welcome limited professional photography, but kindly request $25 donation per session to assist with the cost of maintaining the property.
Please make payment at the Front Desk at the Inn or in the Donation box in the Gristmill. Receipts are provided upon request. Please be courteous to all others using the grounds. Thank you for your cooperation.
Add your Comments
Feel free to leave a comment about this post.