Sailing the Charles River
One way to enjoy Boston is to take on the views from the Charles River. Certainly, you can do this by the Boston Duck Tours, but it would much more adventurous and rent a sailboat.Community Boating Inc, has small sailboats available for daily retails. They have two boat types available:
- Cape Cod Keel Mercury which carries 4-person ($89 day)
- Rhodes 19 which can hold 5-people ($119 a day)
Some Key Rule on Rentals
- Sailing is limited to the Charles River Basin between the Mass Ave bridge and the Longfellow bridge.
- Lifejackets are provided and must be worn at all times.
- Must be able to swim 75 yards.
- Prior experience is required, candidates are interviewed by the dockmaster on duty.
- Minimum rental age is 18 years old. Guests under 18 may crew with parent or guardian permission.
About Community Boating
Community Boating, Inc. (CBI) is the nation's oldest, continuously running public sailing center, incorporated in 1946. The mission of Community Boating is to enable “Sailing for All". We offer sailing and other water sports to people of all ages, abilities, and means in the greater Boston area.
Five things I Learned About Community Boating
- When the non-profit Community Boating first open in 1946 it was America's only public Yacht club.
- In 1956 they had 51 boats. Today they have 63 Centerboard Mercuries, 20 Keel Mercuries,2 RS Venture Connects, 4 Rhodes 19s, 7 Sonars, 6 Ideal 18s, 12 Lasers, 18 E420s, 30+ Sit-on-Top Single/Double Kayaks, 20+ Windsurfers, 15+ Stand-Up Paddleboards.
- Every March the Community Boating house has an early season open house. It's a great way to learn about their summer sailing program.
- During the July 4th Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular you can get reserved seating at the Boat house! It's the only public reserved seating event on the river. People that attend the event get to watch the Pops on Jumbotrons, enjoy Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, face paintings and much more.
- There is no on-site parking. The nearest parking lot is the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary. If your taking public transportation, get off at the Charles/MGH Red Line station.
Add your Comments
Feel free to leave a comment about this post.