iPhone 6s Plus blog postings
iPhone 6s Plus Postings
|Earliest: October 20, 2015||Latest: February 11, 2018||Total: 33|
|February 11, 2018|
Here?s a look back at how my iPhone 6s Plus home screen looked like last year to this year.
- Last Year I was in Disney, so the apps on the home screen was focus on that trip
- I removed YouTube from the Homescreen this year because it's not a huge need anymore.
- FilMic Pro does seem to be working
- I have the Home App on the home screen only so that I can configure it.
|January 7, 2018|
Cool feature of the Tumblr App
Did you know that you can send a custom GIF in a text message?
Thanks to Tumblr, you can now send a short 3 second video clip. This is a cool way to send a quick personal message.
When you install the Tumblr app on your iPhone you'll see a new icon the next time you send a message:
Now you can transform any video or photo burst that you have on your phone into a catching GIF:
Send a GIF from the beach...
How cool is that?
Instructions from Tumblr
- Open a conversation.
- Tap the App Store icon to the left of the chat box.
- 1. If you don't see the Tumblr GIF icon there, tap the icon that looks like four ovals at the bottom, left-hand corner of the screen. Then tap the "Store" icon. Turn Tumblr GIF on and tap "Done."
- Swipe through the extensions until you reach Tumblr GIF, and tap the icon.
- Select a video or a burst (or heck, take a new video).
- Choose a three-second clip that will become a GIF.
- Here you can pinch the screen to crop the GIF, drag the blue box underneath the GIF to shorten its duration, adjust the slider at the bottom of the screen to decide how fast you would like it to play, and tap the circular arrow to toggle between loop and rebound.
- Tap "Next" to edit your GIF. To add text, tap "Aa," then tap the checkmark when you're done typing. Change the color of text added to a GIF by tapping what you wrote and slide along the color selector. Pinch the screen to change the size of the text or rotate it.
- Tap "Skip" or "Next," and when the GIF is done processing it'll put itself in your conversation, all ready to send. Cool!
Each message is about 2 MB in size. Keep that in mind - if your paying for text messages. Also, you may want to delete the GIF in your messages, a couple of days later, to prevent the GIF files from using up phone space.
|November 5, 2017|
Spam Call Identifier on iOS 11
One of the new features of iOS 11 is the ability to have 3rd party identify calls. This is extremely valuable when you get a lot of calls during the day. Are the mystery calls really worth your time?
Using iOS apps, such as Hiya, it easy to identify calls before you answer it. In addition, you also get a tag of missed calls:
If everyone had these applications on their phones and not answered the calls maybe, just maybe these calls will go away.
What do you think? Do you have an App that you like to help identify these calls?
|August 27, 2017|
In a few days Apple will be announcing the next generation of iPhones. I purchased the iPhone 6s Plus back in October 2015. This means that I am eligible to get a new phone.
As of now, there's no major rush to get a new one since the phone that I have works perfectly well. I am satisfied with the camera and battery life that. Unlike my old iPhone 5s, whereas the battery couldn't hold that long. The camera on the iPhone 6s Plus is much better than the 5s.
Here's a side by side comparison of my iPhone 6s Plus home screen in October 2015 and how it looks today.
Here are my most popular 3rd party applications that I have used over the years:
- Evernote - great note taking app. I use it to record information including receipts.
- Twitter - find out what's going on right now.
- Facebook - find out what my friends are doing.
- Google Photos - my personal photo collection. I have access to 50,000 photos.
- AnyList - grocery shopping list and more
- Wunderground - detail weather information
- YouTube - watching funny videos can help brighten a down day
- InstaWeather - overlay the current weather temperature on any picture
- FiLMiC Pro - take quality videos for special moments
Future Applications that I would like
Tip Calculator - How much to tip and keep track of where I eat.
Brain Game - Would be good to play some good brain thinking game. A replacement for Brain Challenge - a great game just that I already played it several times over the years.
|February 4, 2017|
Manage Music on your iPhone
Have you wanted to see just the music that you have installed on your iPhone? Simple Steps to Only Show Downloaded Music on your iPhone music section:
- On the Library Page, click on the ?Edit? link on the top right
- Check on ?Downloaded Music? so the Checkmark appears.
- Click on the ?Done? link on the top right.
Now when you want to see the music on your Phone:
- Go to the ?Downloaded Music? section. From there you can further refine your selection by songs in the Playlist, Artists, Albums and Songs.
|January 1, 2017|
Breaking News App Alternative
One of the cool things about having a smartphone is that you are never out of the loop of what is going on in the world. When something major happens you can be instantly alerted to events that may concern you.
Apple has set up a couple of Government Alerts to help spread notification of important information:
- AMBER Alerts - Alerts you when a child goes missing near your area.
- Emergency Alerts - Alerts you when to seek shelter because of weather or police activity.
The Breaking News app sent you alerts when something major happens. Which is good, because you never feel like your missing out on what's going on in the world.
According to the description, "Discover when news breaks 14 minutes ahead of other news apps on average." The app all-time customer rating was 4 stars by 2,238 subscribers.
Breaking News services no longer in service. From the Breaking News App/Website:
This is breaking news we hoped we'd never have to report. Our parent company, NBC News, has decided to shut down the Breaking News service at the end of the year. BreakingNews.com and the Breaking News app will stop providing updates and alerts on Dec. 31.
Our mission at Breaking News has been to help people and companies make smarter and safer decisions. For the last six years, we've been honored to serve you around the clock, and we thank you for your incredible loyalty.
There are lots of people not happy with NBC decision:
Tuttemarie review concludes with:
Of all the crappy things that have happened in 2016, this app shutting down is in my top 5!
Breaking News Alternative - Twitter Notifications
Breaking News was great because you would get an alert when something big happened, such as when celebrities died or when something significant happened locally. You can get this same instant notification via Twitter Notifications. (In some cases, they broke the news before the Breaking News App)
Simple steps to setup up a Twitter Notification that works similar to Breaking News alerts.
- On your iOS device, Open up Twitter and search for 'CNN Breaking News,' or 'BBC Breaking News'
- Click on the Follow icon
- Next to the Follow icon, click on the bell+ (Notifications)
- Under Notifications, select "All Tweets"
- That's it!
CNN Breaking News does report more "Breaking News Stories" than was produced by the "Breaking News" app, so you may get notified a bit more often. You can search Twitter for different media outlets that may only report major stories that you might be interested in.
|November 19, 2016|
Xsight Technologies, has identified three ways to improve the quality of pictures. These techniques will help you take better digital pictures:
- Adjust The Contrast
- Switch To Black & White
- Save Your "Lossless" Files
Check out the detail article over at Xsight Technologies website:
Xsight Technologies is coming out with a new tool that truly sharpens images and compresses them simultaneously. It's currently available as a website application, and soon they will have an iOS and Android version.
Watch Magic Pictures in Action!
Visit https://www.magic-picture.com/ and in the header you'll see a place to upload a picture. Try a couple of pictures and see how good the quality of your picture comes out. Then check out the compression savings. The slider functionality shows you the before/after.
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Test
Here's an example of a photo I took at the Wayside in Sudbury, Massachusetts on October 30, 2016. The photo was taken with my Olympus XZ-2 iHS, and the default file size is 3.925.7 MB.
The rocks on the building are clearer and the fall colors do pop out more using Magic Pictures. I can see how this could really make photos pop.
iPhone 6s Plus Testing
In my testing, I found that pictures taken with my Olympus XZ-2 iHS had better file size compression. Photos taken with my iPhone 6s Plus had much clearer pictures but were slightly larger. Here's an example of the iPhone 6s Plus:
In the side-by-side comparison, I can tell that the colors are brighter and the grass and trees aren't as blurry as they are in the original.
|October 23, 2016|
iPhone Tip: Screen Capture Videos for Social Media
If you're just taking pictures for the purposes of posting onto a social network, then shooting the footage in video and then taking a screen shot of the final copy might be a good way to get the prize winning shot. Why take the chance of missing the perfect shot.
Standard iPhone 6s Plus picture is 4032x3024 (1.9 MB), a screenshot on an iPhone 6s Plus is 2208x1242 (4.7 MB). Your image is still bigger than the recommended sizes on all the major social media sites:
Social Media Photo Size Recomendations
|Social Media||Photo Recomendation|
|1200 x 628|
|1,024 x 512|
|735 x 1,102|
|1,080 x 1,080|
|700 x 400|
|Google+||800 x 1,200|
Sample Video Photo
Screen capture of a video, while waiting for the Green Line in Boston
If you're taking an action shot, you can always increase the frame rate so that you don't have a blur effect on moving objects.
To take a screen capture - Simply press and hold the ?Sleep/Wake? button and then press the ?Home? button.
Try FiLMiC Pro
I use FiLMiC Pro for my videos because you have better control over the focus and exposure. You really get the full capabilities of your phone. It really is worth the $10 to get a lot more out of your iPhone 6s Plus.
From their website:
|October 8, 2016|
iOS X Voice Mail Transcription
One of the new features In iOS X is voice mail transcript. The feature is still in beta, but it allows you the ability to read your voice messages.
When I first installed iOS X, I checked the voicemail transcript and didn't see anything. However, a couple of weeks later when I checked I noticed that all my previous voice messages have been transcribed.
Note: I trim the transcription for this blog post, there entire voicemail was transcribed.
Note that the above voice message was 1:25 long. A quick read tells me that I don't have to hear this message. After taking the screenshot, I clicked on the delete button.
Apple now also transcribed deleted voicemail. Now I can go back and see what the messages were about.
The really neat thing about this is that I can get my voice messages in situations where it may not be convenient to hear them.
The feature is still in beta, but from what I see it looks pretty good. If you upgraded when iOS X came out, go check out your voice mail and see what you think of the new feature. Simple click on Phone > Voicemail then one of the voice messages that you have.
|September 24, 2016|
Build a Thumbnail Webpage with Image Capture Tool
Image Capture can Build a webpage with transferred images
Did you know you can create a website from your images from Image Capture? Here are the simple steps:
- Connect your scanner, camera, or other device to your computer, then turn the device on. If the device is locked with a passcode, enter it.
- In Image Capture, select the device in the Devices or Shared list.
- Select the images that you wish to add to your website
- Click the Import To pop-up menu, then choose Build Web Page.
- Click Import or Import All.
Here?s what happens next:
- A new folder will be created in your '~/Pictures' folder called ?Webpages on DATE at TIME"
- A new index.html file will be created with thumbnail images of your photos
- A new ?web files? folder will be created which will contain the two versions of your images, the full version size and a thumbnail size.
- The full version size will fit in a 800x600 dimension
- The thumbnail size will fit in a 200x150 dimension
What?s bad about this is that it won?t account for the horizontal hold of the iPhone. This means that if you hold the camera in horizontal mode incorrectly the photos will appear upside down. According to Apple, the correct way to hold the iPhone is with the sound volume down.