Gluten Free at Lifetime Athletics
Couple of good gluten free Options for kids
LifeTime Fitness has a Cafe, called LifeCafe, that offers members lots of healthy choices. In that selection are some Gluten-Free options that my eight-year-old daughter loves. We are members of the Lifetime Athletics in Framingham, Massachusetts
Not listed on the "official menu" but you can get a gluten-free grill cheese with a side snack. My daughter loves this sandwich. It's so good that she takes her time eating it.
You can find the grilled cheese listed in the Life Cafe store menu, it's not available as on option online or in the LifeTime App.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Pizza can be healthy if it's made with the right crust, and Cauliflower Crust pizza is all the rage right now. The Caulipower Pizza at LifeCafe is made without flour and is certified gluten-free.
The pizza is excellent - a great treat for a workout or, in my daughter's case, a few hours at the Kids Academy. She loves it! It's nice because you don't have to say "Gluten-Free" as Caulipower pizza is all they have - so everyone get's Gluten-Free Pizza.
We usually just order plane cheese. It always comes well cooked, much better than the Caulifower that we get at California Pizza kitchen.Permalink
Trader Joes Pancakes
Great Tasting Gluten Free Pancakes
Finding a good Gluten Free that an Eighth Year Old will eat is tricky. You can just pick out any cereal on the shelf.
Trader Joe???s has a great frozen pancakes that my daughter loves. Which is great because over the years we have tried various frozen pancakes and waffles. They are certainly worth the try if you have tried some of the popular Gluten Free brands.
Five Things We Learned about the HomeStyle Pancakes
- Available at Trader Joe???s. They are located with the regular frozen pancakes. Trader Joe???s doesn???t have a separate freezer for Gluten Free goods.
- The pancakes comes individually wrapped in a pack of three. There are four packs. We have to buy 2 boxes for the week.
- Takes about 1:25 seconds to cook. I usually split the pancakes and spread them on a plate.
- Great with chocolate drizzle, cut up strawberries and whip cream topping. (Part of a complete breakfast)
- Pancakes are small dollar size - perfect for kids.
Gluten Free Cakes
Great Cakes from Gerardos European Bakery
Back in 2007, my wife got me this birthday cake fromThe Icing on the Cake in Newton, Massachusetts.
This cake was long before we found that our daughter needed to eat Gluten Free. While The Icing on The Cake doesn't make any Gluten-Free cakes, we did find a bakery that makes some of the best gluten-free cakes in New England:
Gerardo's European Bakery in Westborough, MA makes amazing Gluten Free cakes. We have had nothing but success with all types of Gluten-Free cakes. They have a great flavor selection and they help out to make sure that you get the best looking cake as possible.Permalink
Google Search of Gluten Free
Weird search results of gluten free
Earlier this week, I was searching to see if there were any Gluten Free options at any of the Cafes at the Boston Public Library. IIt'sa fun place to go on a warm day since they have a nice courtyard to eat at.
When I put in my search for "Gluten Free Boston Public Library" in Google, I got back an interesting response:
Did you see it?
On the bottom of the first search is a filter - "Must include: gluten." Which obviously means the search query should include Gluten.
Funny thing is that I don't want it to include gluten.
Unfortunately there's no online information on the Boston Public Library on if any of their eating places have Gluten Free options. I'll have to inquire on another visit. We ended up going to Dirty Water Dough. It was very good pizza.Permalink
American Girl Birthday Party
American Girl is an option for a gluten free birthday party.
This weekend we celebrated my daughter's 8th birthday party at American Girl in Natick, Massachusetts. This is her first party that we had at American Girl.
In previous years, we celebrated her birthday with her grandparents on her actual birthday in the restaurant. This year we invited a few friends to celebrate at a private dining room using the deluxe package.
Nine Things We Learned about the Deluxe Party at American Girl
- We brought our own cake from Gerardo's European Bakery in Westborough. In the past, my daughter didn't like the gluten-free cake that we had at American Girl. American Girl was fine that we brought in an outside cake. We served the guest the cake that comes with the deluxe package. Only the adults and my daughter got the gluten-free cake.
- The gluten-free cake is what was she used to blow out the candles.
- The deluxe package includes a table activity and a craft. We only had time for a craft. My daughter got everyone involved by doing a sing-a-long to some of her favorite songs.
- The craft was creating a bracelet out of string. The hostess did a good job explaining the task and help people set up their craft. The activity did involve a fair amount of work, and only one person was able to complete it in time.
- The deluxe package is 90 minutes - but the hostess said that it didn't seem like a long enough time for 9 girls.
- There was another party in the room next door. We kept going back and forth with who could sing happy birthday the loudest. I think the other room won simply because there were more people in the room.
- Basically this felt more of a lunch party than a typical birthday party that we have gone to in the past. Usually, birthday parties involve activities away from the table for a while and the party concludes with some food. This party felt more of her inviting her friends to a private lunch.
- Everyone had a good time and enjoyed their meals. Which is the most important thing!
- We were happy that the package included a goody bag, as it was one less thing to worry about.
Where in the world are people searching for Gluten free?
Google Trends is a great way to find out popular searches around the world. I thought it would be interesting to see the most popular countries that search for Gluten Free. Obviously, it would be more popular in English speaking countries. Some translation examples:
- German: Gluten-frei
- Spanish: sin gluten
- Portuguese: livre de glúten
- Russian: не содержит глютен
- Chinese (Simplified): 不含麸质
Australia and New Zealand are the countries with the highest interest in searching for gluten-free. The Tasmania region is the strongest region in New Zealand that put it ahead of all other countries.
Boston ranks 15th in 58 cities in the Google Trends report. Just short of Melbourne, Australia.Permalink
Nexvax2 now in Stage 2 Trials
Nexvax2 has been fast track to help people with Gluten Free
Good news for Celiacs! On January 2nd, ImmusanT secured a fast-track for it's Nexvax2 as a vaccine for people with celiac disease. It's currently in Phase 2 of testing.
The FDA only grants fast track status to certain drugs when there is an unmet need for medicine with serious or life-threatening conditions.
"Nexvax2 will improve quality of life and prevent the serious complications of chronic gluten exposure in celiac disease patients. The development of Nexvax2 aligns with our strategic vision of transforming how patients with autoimmune diseases are treated.??? - Leslie Williams CEO of ImmusanT in a recent press release
Fast Track to stage two testing does not increase the chances the drug will be approved, it's just a way that the FDA to move the drug along the process quicker.
About the Phase 2 of the Trial
A phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study of Nexvax2. This study will evaluate efficacy of Nexvax2 administered subcutaneously. The study plan consists of 3 periods: a screening period of 6 weeks, an approximately 16 week treatment period, and a 4-week post-treatment observational follow-up.
Be Part of the Trial
To be considered for the trial you must be:
- Someone who has been diagnosed celiac disease,
- Must be over 18 and under 70.
- Must be gluten free for at least one year.
- HLA DQ 2.5 Positive
- Participants must be willing to consume some gluten.
Unfortunately my 8-year-old daughter is not eligible for the study. If the trial is successful, hopefully, they come up with a children's version.
If you meet the simple criteria, why not be part of the study? On the Clinical Trial page is the locations where the trials are occurring. Simply contact the person nearest to you.
Oddly enough there is no trial in Massachusetts, which is the location of ImmusanT.
Estimated Completion Date
The trial will end on September 2019.Permalink
Gluten Free Labels
Labels are great for identifying which items are gluten free
We like to label boxes and Tupperware that the contents are gluten-free. This helps at school so they know the contents are safe for my daughter. It's also good at parties so that people can see that gluten-free foods look good.
We use the labels from Gluten Free Stickers because they are simple and stand out on anything that we put them on. They also last through many Tupperware washing - in some cases, longer than the Tupperware!
We don't place the stickers on every single ziplock bag. For school, it's usually placed on food containers that are for food events such as snacks for Extended Day or when she brings in cookies for treats.
These labels are very helpful and the quality is great! You're not getting cheap paper labels!
Check out Gluten Free Stickers. We recommend getting the Gluten Free Label roll so that you'll never run out of stickers when you need it.Permalink
Gluten Free Freezer
Check twice for products in the freezer.
Happy New Year 2019!
Finding Gluten Free in the Supermarket
Most supermarkets keep all the gluten-free alternative items together. This makes it easy to find all the bagels/breakfast goods available.
In Market Basket, you can find all the gluten free bread and pastries in the back freezer, near the Produce and Meat departments.
Wait a minute
Just make sure to double check the items, recently I spotted the following:
I was excited to see that there was a new item in the case. However, this isn’t gluten free - there is no Cinnabon Product that is gluten-free. Katz does make a gluten free cinnamon roll, which is probably the product that should be displayed in the case.
Some people may not really pay attention and just assume that it is since it’s with all the gluten free breakfast goods.
Just a simple reminder to always check the packaging - especially if it’s a new product.
Looking forward to finding all sorts of new products in 2019.Permalink
Top 8 Gluten Free Post of 2018
Lots of great posts this year.
I didn’t post much gluten-free this year, basically didn’t post much between February and September.
Here are the top posts of 2018.
- AMC Theater Popcorn is not Gluten Free - Surprise of the year, it’s not safe to eat popcorn at AMC.
- Just Crack an Egg - My daughter’s favorite breakfast treat. She has one practically every morning.
- Fire & Grain - Great restaurant in Hershey, PA. We ate a lot of meals here and they were very knowledgable on gluten free eating.
- Cauliflower crust at California Pizza Kitchen - Definitely the go to choice when it comes to eating pizza.
- Ice Cream Cafe - We found a great ice cream shop on Cape Cod that offers different gluten free cones.
- The Lazy Turtle (Aruba) - The only place in Aruba where we found that offers gluten free pasta.
- Best Super Crispy Fries at Home - We used the frier a lot this year and enjoyed extra crispy french fries.
- Benevento - After being away from the North End for a while, we decide to go back and found a good gluten free restaurant.
This series of posts will cover some tips and tricks that I have learned about my twelve-year-old daughter's gluten-free lifestyle in the Boston area. Gluten-free eating can be challenging in any big city, but especially in Boston due to the high number of restaurants and availability of options. I've been learning what I can to make sure my daughter can still enjoy eating out, and I want to share what I've learned so that other families in the same situation can benefit.
Check out all the blog post.
|Snagit For QA
- Arturo's Ristorante
- Alltown Fresh
- Nespresso Mocha
- Make Popcorn Awesome Again
- Gluten Free Shelf Label
- Smash Burger
- Gluten Free Pizza at The Chateau
- Harley and Jacks Burger Brew
- Ericksonâ€™s Ice Cream
- L.A. Burdick Pastry
- City Farmhouse
- Uncle Cheung's Restaurant
- Traveling with a Celiac
- Dulce D Leche
- Sugar Heaven Ice Cream Factory